As an f-1 student, it is important that you remain your full-time student status while in the U.S.
1. When you are on Program/Continuation Fee (GRADSCH 999-1LEC), in other words you no longer take courses because you have completed coursework and are in comps preparation or dissertation writing phases, you need to have your GPD write a letter to Grad Records verifying that you are on Program/Continuation Fee and that the department considers you to be full-time. Please ask GPD to write a memo for you before the semester where you are on Program/Continuation Fee starts.
2. You have received authorization from IPO to drop below full time due to medical conditions and/or that this is your last semester before you complete your program. You CANNOT DROP BELOW FULL TIME WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION FROM IPO. Please contact IPO if you fall into this category with your FULL NAME and student ID.
3. You are doing a full time internships (CPT) located off campus. If this is the case, please contact us ASAP.
This is an unusual situation and we will need to deal with it on a case-by-case basis.
4. You are currently in the midst of applying for change of status. Please fax/bring to IPO a copy of your receipt or any documentation that identifies your change of status request. IPO will then need to update the system to reflect the new immigration status once it has been approved.
5. During a student’s first semester, he/she is allowed to register for less than a full-time courseload if he/she encounters language difficulties or problems with the level or placement in his/her classes. Student must get permission from a foreign student advisor (FSA), so that the authorization can be noted in SEVIS.
6. During a student’s final semester, he/she is allowed to register for less than a full-time courseload if the degree requirements will be completed with fewer courses. Student must get permission from a foreign student advisor so that the authorization can be noted in SEVIS.